In 1923 a group of young men living in Mount Maunganui got together to form the Mount Maunganui Rugby Club. Mostly employed at the P.W.D Workshops where the East Coast railway line was being fabricated. This was the birth of what is now the Mount Maunganui Sports Club which caters for rugby (21 teams), netball (6 teams) and squash (210 players) as well as organising local touch rugby (46 teams)
The Club’s ability to field teams before and during World War II varied depending on player availability in what was still a small town. However, this changed late in 1946 when the Club was reformed after the war. A team was fielded in 1947 and since then the Club has continued to grow and prosper.
First Clubrooms were built on a freehold section in Hinau Street and were ready for the 1963 season. It was only 5 years later that it was obvious that these clubrooms were too small and when we were approached by the Council, who were keen to purchase the property, the Club relocated to its present site on Blake Park where we built two squash courts that were opened in December 1973. A further squash court, rugby changing rooms and large lounge were opened in 1981. Further changing facilities were added by Council in 2008 to complete our current development.
Katherine Evans | 021 619169
Kelly Brenton | email@example.com | 07 575 4941
Matt Welsh | 027 4611087
Junior Rugby Chairperson
Kelly Cox | 027 2279525